MOKSACVPR Board Meeting
July 9, 2015
Present: Carolyn Beard, Debbie Dorshorst, Susan Hansen, Debbie Hilton, Chuck Kitchen, Snizhana Hostyanska, Leann Dickson, Val, Tedd Walsh, Trisha Walsh, Val Kirby
- Meeting called to order at 7:01 a.m. by President Carolyn Beard
- Approval of June, 2015 meeting minutes-motion to approve as read-Debbie Hilton, 2nd -Tedd Wals
- Treasurer’s Report(Susan Hansen)
- See Attached 6 point July 2015 Treasury Report
- Treasurer Report July 2015-approved as submitted
- Still waiting for letter confirmation of closure of savings account
- MoneyLink Account closure letter has been received
- Final handoff to Trisha Walsh will be schedule
- Committee Reports:
Education – Tedd and Chuck:
- Spring meeting is set April 15 and 16, 2016, Research Brookside Campus. Currently checking out hotel and catering.
Website –Debbie H. & Carol:
- Working with PLETH to set up MOKSACVPR website for “Membership Only”.
Communications – Snizhana:
- Motion made by Tedd to combine Communications and Membership, 2nd by Debbie H., approved by board.
Standards & Issues – Val
- Bill for NP and PA’s to supervise has been attached to a bill that gives it a high CBO score, most likely will not pass.
Certification –Debbie D.
- Update for 2016 AACVPR applications are posted on AACVPR website, very minor changes.
Nominations – Amy
- Not present on call
Old Business –
- Document Retention Policy: Changes made, Carolyn will update and send out revision, will be put on website. Motion to accept with changes made by Val, 2nd Leann.
- Conference Reimbursement Policy: approved at June meeting
- Directors and Officers Insurance: (Liability) –Carolyn discussed below topics, she will continue to check on quotes-Tabled until next meeting
- Quote for $724/yr from Chubb Services (Smith Bucklin referral)
- Texas Affiliate uses ScottsDale Indemity and it is $2000/2years
- Nebraska Affiliate (joint) pay around $600/yr
- Waiting on a quote from Wells Fargo
New Business –Carolyn thanked board for opportunity to attend this meeting.
- Leadership Forum
- Strategic planning: talked about an annual board retreat where we can meet face to face, get to know each other and come up with goals and plans. Amy (President-elect, is in favor of continuing Strategic planning meetings)
- Affiliate Challenges:
- Term limits: have a spreadsheet for who is going off and coming on. Use old board members as consultants.
- Treasurer: some do a elect-current-past so it’s not such a daunting process
- Audits at the end of each year but by a low cost CPA, could be a patient or spouse. Does anyone on the board have a CPA who fits these criteria?
- Document retention/storage: talked about having a board member’s tech relative to clean up everything and get it in the cloud. Or an accountant person to do that, or give a student free membership if they did all that. Several changes were made to the MOKSACVPR document retention policy, Carolyn will update. Our current Cloud storage is free.
- Importance of the Nominations Committee: use your committees as pipeline for new people; make sure members know it’s not the “Good Ole Boys Club”. Suggest a spreadsheet.
- We should have a formal application for Board members
- Student participation, some go to University and give a program on MOKS, offer scholarships to the national meeting or $500 for their tuition.
- Facebook for your affiliate- Borad not in favor of for now, just another “thing” to keep up with.
- Knowledge Transfer: Policy and Procedure book-everyone is working on their own.
- Massachusetts affiliate has a paid administrative assistant; she gets about $425/month and works about 40 hours. She does booking of rooms, address, website, mailings, CEU apps, brochure, getting all the power points together, etc. all the stuff that takes the time.
- Cloud: some use Dropbox and Google Docs.
- Need a Culture Statement: AACVPR just created one. Amy created one for MOKSACVPR, Debbie D. made a motion to accept, 2nd by Debbie H.
- Some affiliates have a rep from each specialty: RN, EP, RT, etc.
- Karen Lui and Phil Porte: met with the Medicare advantage plans and had a discussion about all the horrible copays. The companies said they had no idea that it affected Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab, they were thinking Physical Therapy. Any way they are going to address the issues for the next open enrollment hopefully.
- Karen said there are only 10 MACS but to look for changes, not sure if there will be fewer. By 2018 will be heavily towards OUTCOMES.
- Karen asked about our MACs and what we are hearing about Value Based Care.
- Nonprofit status has nothing to do with revenue but the fact that we have no stockholders.
- Corporations: forms a hard shell of protection around you, file with the Secretary of State so once you are incorporated they can’t get you personally. So I guess we could have all been sued for being lapsed. ☺
- Directors and Officers Insurance: pays the attorney fees when someone trips and falls at your conference
- Duty of Loyalty: if you have a conflict of interest you should not vote on the choice. Ex: you own a local hotel and it is one of the hotels you are choosing from, you do not vote on the hotel choice.
- Tax Exempt: every year apply to the IRS file a 990,(don’t lose the status it is very painful to get it back) if you don’t file you have to pay corporate taxes, form 1120,
- Drug Rep talks, if it is branded it’s taxable.
- 501C3: charitable, educational and religious organizations
- 501C6: trade associations, professional societies, and chambers of commerce. They can engage in lobbying.
- Antitrust: can’t boycott a business by telling people not to go there
- Copyright: Everything belongs to its creator, photos belong to the photographer.
- Fair use covers: in quotes with attribution
- Plagiarist: 3 sentences quotes, or 3 paragraphs
- Photograph: attribution will never cure copyright infringement.
- Policy on: Harassment,
Next meeting: August 13, 2015
Adjourn: 7:50 a.m.
Minutes submitted by Secretary, Debbie Dorshorst